Friday, February 25, 2011

On the news

I was watching news this morning and I saw a protestor had as his protest sign a picture of Ayn Rand. I saw it and recognized her immediately. This led me to think about how the brain recognizes faces. Isnt it strange that you can recognize a face that was photographed from 100 feet away on a moving protest sign? Perhaps this has to do with the importance of being able to distinguish between strangers and family as an infant. Facial recognition is important to human survival. Perhaps there was a time when humans had an advanced sense of smell and less visual prowess like dogs. I would like to know more about the part of the brain that recognizes faces. I think visual memory is in the very rear of the brain but I could be wrong. Any brain surgeons out there?

A.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor