Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NYC

I moved into nyc just prior to the snowstorm of jan 1996 (all those years ago) I had no connections or friends (save some galleries who picked me up) I had sold a piece of art that covered my rent and bills for six months and I moved into a dicey block in alphabet city and did my best to shake off the stale dust of long island that is death to all art and creative pursuits. Roughly 15 years in nyc (with occasional napoleonic exiles) After 15 years in NYC you should get a big apple badge of honor for survival. It is hard in this life to be an artist and it is near impossible to survive as an artist in NYC. I have seen more artists come and go than I can even count--some disappeared to the west coast, some buried their head in the sand down south, some I used to work for now ask me for work. I have hired two former bosses as assistants..both nice guys..NYC is in my blood, it is in my soul and waking up on 74th street makes me happy as a clam. I would rather live in my studio apt. in NYC than live in a house on the water in the burbs..Im odd like that. I have had my share of ups and downs and battles and poverty but even when I was in the gutter I kept my eye on guide star of art. The streets of ny sharpen the steel of your soul, you have to stay on your toes or you can get swallowed quick. My only saving grace has been my level of stubbornness. I now have two studios one in brooklyn and one in little italy and for the first time my apt is not full of paints and canvas, this is weird not having my paints and canvas children around me all the time as I sleep.... I am more stubborn than seven mules, I am willing to endure anything if I want something...anything. I dont wish to self-dramatize my game but the fact that I am still making art for a full time living at my age is almost like a phil collins song---against all odds and utterly ridiculous. I paid heavy dues getting through and it has been a hell of a journey and it seems to be getting more interesting all the time.


My point here is actually fairly simple---it comes down to an equation


what are you willing to give up in order to get what you want in life...it is really a simple question of sacrifice--the gods want a lot in this world before they will throw you a bone. My one regret in life is the toll my passion for art has taken on my relationships..that is one hell of a sore spot for me--art is a jealous mistress..one day I will tackle that animal.  I have given up everything in this world for art except for my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor