Sunday, October 17, 2010

commitment

If you want to be an artist, a real, working artist, then you have to be committed. You can't be halfway in, you cannot have one foot in the water and one on the shore. You have to live for your art like it is your food, it is too competitive a field to dabble in and hope for something---Not that some people dont get lucky or have parental connections etc to roll out the carpet for them and open doors but for the most part it is not a place to dabble in. There is NOTHING wrong with making art for your own pleasure--I love artists who make work because it moves them and for no other reason, that is honest and personal and great. But if you really want to give it a go then you have to make at least a painting or drawing every day--- Even if you are sick or hungover. When I was having my appendix out in the hospital I was sketching as they wheeled me into be cut open. My sister gave me a paper and pad, she knows me. There should be no days without a line or a brush dipped into paint. There are no excuses, you are either in or you are out, you are on the bus or off the bus. If you want to paint on sundays, then god bless you, you can enjoy art without the pressure and that is fine but if you want the gods of art to smile on you then you must have both feet in the waters commitment. Methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor