Sunday, July 18, 2010

basquiat

If you are a white artisto you are supposed to like basquiat. I always hear these skinny white artists from brooklyn with their glasses and their keds talking about how great basquiat was. They are wrong. His art was crap, it was fish soup without the fish. The only thing I will give him is that he had a little bit of street cred but most junkies have a certain level of street cred. The movie basquiat wasnt that bad but his talent was so overblown. I can overlook lack of skill if there is something else to hang your hat on but there is no other hook...just a bunch of hype---typical 1980's sushi and blow hype. I am not saying he wasnt a good guy--I never met him...I just hate hype it is the hobgoblin of modern sensibility. Someone needs to smack theses tofu eating skinny brooklyn white kids and learn them some velasquez.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor