Sunday, June 13, 2010

Circumstances

I would rather own a really good microscope---I mean a really good one, than a Ferrari. If I could look at the essential building blocks of this crap we call matter I would gladly drive a 1983 toyota. When I had the chance to look at little swimmy things under a microscope in high school it changed my head forever. I never got over it. I wish I was a scientist but I cant do math. I care more about biology than art but I am too dumb to balance chemistry equations. The only reason I am an artist is my ADD is so bad that I am unfit to bag groceries. Artists are cheap and dreadful humans and most of them die in the great and unkept fields of timeless misery. I am different than most artists in that I am so extreme and fearless that the Gods take pity on my and throw me free biscuits. I am a creature that should not be. A man should not make a living, however pitiful, by make little square pictures. If I am not drunk on good red wine I am making art or reading art or bleeding art, It is the mississippi river of my soul's continent. My life has been a strange and blessed animal and I wouldnt change it for anything in the world. A straight life was not a thing I could ever understand. As a child I never owned a coloring book because I told my mom "I want to make my own lines." My lines are still my own (however sketchy they may be.) In life you may never get that microscope or maybe god will poke your eyes out with a sharp stick as a child but your dreams are your dreams are your dreams and they are as real as the child who once gave birth to them. A one eyed man is king in the land of the blind and I have a sneaking suspicion that if you put your heart into life then the universe will gift you with that one eye and a microscope to boot. There is no try only do. which reminds me of these words:



A boy alone, so far from home,
Endless rooftops from my window.
I felt the gloom of empty rooms
On rainy afternoons.
Sometimes in confusion,
I felt so lost and disillusioned,
Innocence gave me confidence
To go up against reality.

Chorus
All the same we take our chances,
Laughed at by time,
Tricked by circumstances.
Plus ça change,
Plus c'est la même chose
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.

Now I've gained some understanding
Of the only world that we see.
Things that I once dreamed of
Have become reality.
These walls that still surround me
Still contain the same old me,
Just one more who's searching for
A world that ought to be.


neil peart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor