Friday, August 28, 2009

why I keep making art...

(someone emailed me this)


I wanted to check out the galleries to see what was being sold in the area. You would not believe the schlock that's being passed off as art. Between the "modern" art, the Picasso rip-offs, and the landscapes with uninspiring use of color and no sense of light, it's hard to understand why this stuff sells for thousands of dollars. I actually looked at a seascape and wondered what you would say about it. After pondering it for a few minutes, I came to the conclusion you would think it was no better than a paint-by-numbers picture. Then I overheard that the artist's family comes from money and paid for their son to go to school in Paris. I nearly shrieked "what a waste!"
I hope you know that your blog has given me an education in art, from theory to practice, that is unavailable anywhere else. Before I knew you, I would have been one of those people who thought "Oh, how pretty!" and wasted money on the painting. Now, I know better, and so does everyone else who follows you. Thank you for sharing your insight - you are a blessed artist and an outstanding human being!

M.

(I'll take the blessed artist part but I am not so sure about the outstanding human bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor