Tuesday, December 30, 2008

absinthe--the green fairy


I recently bought a bottle of absinthe but never opened it. Here are two paintings, the subject in both is "absinthe drinkers" I drank absinthe once and it had no effect on me, however a guy I was with wound up passing out and mumbling and sweating. (I have American Indian and Russian blood in my veins so absinthe to me is like Tang.) But I digress, Absinthe was the drink Du Jour back when Picasso painted and Toulouse limped etc...it is/ was made with wormwood which is a mild hallucinogen and that is what helps you see the "green fairies etc" I am here to talk about art-- not liquor---these two paintings share the same subject, the top is by Degas. If you look you will see that Degas puts picasso to shame here. Picasso painted a lot of hack art but was a greater genius than Degas but not a better artist than Degas. drink up...it is now legal in America...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor