Wednesday, September 17, 2008

school of athens geometry study


I have been carefully studying the geometry behind the School of Athens by Raphael. If you are going to copy something it is best understand the mechanics behind it--- The old masters never just haphazardly placed their figures and objects in space, they used very careful geometry and golden ratios. When I was in art school I asked my professors about this and they were at a loss to help me so I devoted myself to figuring out geometry on my own. I am fascinated by Raphael's use of the three central circles that seem to spawn from the midpoint of the circle below it. It almost seems to have celestial significance---just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor