Thursday, August 14, 2008

technology vs. heart

I have noticed in my years as an artist that the more technical an artist was, the more anal and obsessed with the craft and technique--- that very often there was something crucial missing in their work--heart and spirit. I would rather look at a painting or piece of art with a few technical faults and shortcomings than a perfectly painted lifeless work. I love paintings by blake and goya where in spite of a lot of technical flaws they are still works of genius and timeless masterpieces. I would rather study a Gericault painting than a David painting any day. You cant teach spirit, you can teach technique. That is why with the computer and digital camera these days everyone thinks themselves an artist. There are a lot of people out there who are very methodical and patient and learn their "programs" and systems and technique but there is quite often something missing. (in my humble opinion)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor