Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Viva gardega (and plato)


This morning I got up at my usual 4AM and went onto the internet and started my usual research into art and science. It is rare that I get as excited as I did today when I came upon a great revelation of glass shattering importance. I have always (as you may Know) been fascinated by the platonic solids and by the works of Plato and especially his inquiry into platonic solids of which I do not need to explain here except to say that they are pictured above and the top right solid is the icosahedron. Scientists are just now coming to the conclusion of something I suspected for a long time is that the atoms of glass are actually "stacked" in icosahedron shapes--- that means never really fit together very well. I learned about this by my inquiry into Radilolaria (of which I have carved many a Radiolaria in glass) in order to better understand their structure-see above glass carving from 1999...and so it goes..I hope I explained this sufficiently--read on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor