Thursday, December 13, 2007

the sandbox of life

As a child alex was stubborn beyond all things. I grew up, dear reader, on a farm in small-town Texas and as many children of my age I had a sand box in which I would create or destroy my own universe as I saw fit. It was not long before my sandbox was invaded by the unwelcomest army of guests---Texas fire ants whose sole reason for living was to displace the great gardega from his sandy kingdom of bliss. (I would remind my humble reader here that I have little recollection of this story as it was relayed to me many times by my dearest and lovely mum.) Fire ants have a sting that will send the toughest of cowboys running for the hills and they prefer to sting en masse as it is the best way to subdue large prey. It was my solid belief that these were invaders and therefore had no claim to my sandy domain. The ants felt very different than I and decided that I was an obstacle, a swollen tick that must be killed and removed and carried away in bite- size pieces. As a child who was oft prone to stubborn fits that were beyond explanation and beyond comprehension by my exasperated parents I was not interested in giving up my sacred turf to the scarlet army. My mother told me that I would scream and cry and shout but I would refuse to leave the sandbox as I was attacked and stung and bitten. If she took me away it would not be long before I would be back defending my turf. My stubborn nature eventually proved too much for even the marauding insects and gardega experienced his first victory where stubbornness prevailed over the external forces of nature. To this day my single minded and stubborn nature has guided me through many a sting by the cruel ants of doubt and despair in the sandbox of life.

viva the mule!

1 comment:

  1. Your words paint a picture as vivid and expressive as your art. Perhaps with a bit of polishing you can be great author as well as an great artist. I will plow through my day with visions of a little Gardega defending his beloved sandbox against the evil scarlet army, plastic shovel clenched in his raised fist - your story made my day!!

    ReplyDelete

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor