Tuesday, September 11, 2007

last supper update


Why the last supper?

I am painting my own version of the last supper for a hundred reasons but I will now touch upon the primary ones---I am painting this painting because it has become apparent to me that painting holds less and less power in todays world as we become more and more media saturated. In fact, there seems to be an inverse square law regarding the importance of painting to the average person and the modern proliferation of media. By painting I am speaking of painting I consider important (classical and surrealism)--(I am not discussing abstract art here.) The painting that is out there seems all too often to be -- geometry free , empty and soulless. The average person often feels alienated from art/ painting and the modern art world. In my humble opinion there was a certain magic in what used to called be art. The old masters still have the same secret energy they emanated 500 years ago, while paintings from the sixties are falling apart at the seams because they were poorly constructed without understanding of science and materials. I decided to explore this idea in my own version of the last supper that will be painted classical (and using secret geometry) but featuring news anchors as the apostles because there is a better chance people can name the news anchors I use than three renaissance painters or even the apostles who attended the last supper. This concept is not blasphemy, ironic nor is it a simple media stunt. Are culture has slipped to historic lows and there must be explanations or answers or at least questions as too why. IS MEDIA THE NEW RELIGION? Can painting survive without photoshop, without the beeping and blaring and spinning of digital lies? I think it is time for a New Renaissance in art and painting and it requires spirit and an almost religious sensibility. The emperor never had any clothes...



We can walk our road together
If our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free
If we pursue a different aim

Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united
In a single perfect sphere

---n. peart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor