Sunday, June 24, 2007

Gunthers Bar


Here is a photo I took yesterday of Gunthers bar in Northport. Again, this was Jack Kerouac's watering hole after he returned to live with his mom after being "on the road." I did not notice the floating "talking head" on the TV set until later. I like old places and old houses and old paintings. Things that feel "lived in." I had a professor once who decided he wanted to do a bunch of bar paintings and although he is a very accomplished painter he had never once stepped into a bar in his life. (much less a dive bar.) I am guessing the paintings were less than believable. As Hemingway said "write what you know." How are you going to catch the despair of an old feeble drunk if you are sipping on Shirley Temples---You are better off painting melons in your studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice in Winter Watercolor

12  x 16 inches on arches paper to purchase https://tendollarart.com/products/alice-in-winter-watercolor